Waco ISD Hosts Superintendent Scholars Celebration
WACO, TX- Waco ISD hosted a Superintendent Scholars Celebration on March 1, 2023, at the Lee Lockwood Library and Museum. The Superintendent Scholars program is designed to honor students in 8th through 11th grades who have achieved top scores on the Preliminary SAT (PSAT) exam while giving them opportunities to explore elite colleges and universities and assisting them in test preparation to improve PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test scores, with the hope of achieving top honors nationally as National Merit Scholars and increasing scholarship opportunities in college.
“I started the Superintendent Scholars program because I know that we have some of the brightest students anywhere, and I want you to have the opportunity to do whatever it is that you want to do in the future,” said Waco ISD Superintendent Dr. Susan Kincannon in her remarks to the scholars and their families.
Superintendent Scholars are Waco ISD’s top performers on the PSAT and represent students who have scored in the top 5, 10 and 15% nationally on the most recent administration of the test. The purpose of the program is to create a culture of excellence in academic achievement at Waco ISD. Superintendent Scholars in grades 9th through 11th were recognized at the ceremony held on March 1 and 8th grade students will be recognized at a later date.
“What I want you to take away from this evening, other than a sense of pride and accomplishment, is that you have the opportunity to do something really big. I want to motivate and challenge you to make the most of this,” said Kincannon. ”Waco ISD is here to help you as you work to achieve your goals.”
The following students were recognized at the Superintendent Scholars Celebration:
University High School
- 9th Grade: Justin Neal, Cassandra Saucedo, Emmanuel Grajeda, Angel DeLaCruz, Jaxon Barefield, and Micah Hatten.
- 10th Grade: Stiven Uceda, Daisy Barco, Jautyrael Kendricks, Kevin Gutierrez, and William Ruby.
- 11th Grade: Andres Luevano, Xavier Tijerina, Valerie Garcia-Perez, Giselle Favela, Daneida Hernandez, Adrian Ramos, Daniel Angulo, Illiana Garcia, and Sara Olguin.
Waco High School
- 9th Grade: Sandra Lawson, Jonathan Leija Marin, August Zimmerman, Joshua Nelson, Lilly Rose, Camila Vega, Asher Land, Karyme Reyes, Denny Rivera-Espinoza, Madison Vigil, Joseph Castillo, Daniella Mercado, Emmanuel Perez, Dawsen Carter, Brittany Leija, Isaiah Tavera, Eleanor Rhodes, and Keleigh
- 10th Grade: Lydia Allen, Annabeth Carlson, Yessenia Antonio, Ivy Moore, Andrew Gonzalez, and Aaliyah Matthews.
- 11th Grade: Jude Wendel, Samuel Everett, Anna Hogue, Alexis Hookham, Daniel Garner, Willow Cunningham, Athan Zimmerman, and Dylan Seagle.