WISD's mission to provide an educational foundation that empowers and values all are echoed in our department's motto: To Serve & Support.
Services and Responsibilities
The Student Services Department provides physical & mental health services, counseling services, homeless outreach, monitors disciplinary interventions, tracks attendance, and truancy.
The mission is to provide comprehensive programming and technical assistance in the areas of alternative education, accelerated instruction, discipline, and attendance to campus and assist/facilitate elementary campus needs.
Student Health Services
Waco ISD employs Registered Nurses and Licensed Vocational Nurses to meet the health care needs of the students. Nurse employees provide quality and preventative health care to all students. Nurses perform basic first aid, track immunization requirements, dispense medication to students, and conduct vision, hearing, and spinal screenings. Nurses also provide classroom instruction on hygiene and disease. The Family Practice Center contracts with the district to serve students, their families, and the community at a school-based health clinic located at Bell's Hill Elementary. The school-based clinic provides both treatment and preventative care.
Attendance, Truancy, Dropout Prevention & Recovery
Oversees the district's efforts to increase student attendance, ensures adherence to state and local laws and policy governing compulsory attendance, and addresses all factors related to students dropping out of school. Attendance Court Liaisons are responsible for representing the district in all court matters related to attendance and truancy. Parent Campus Liaisons are responsible for communicating with parents and students regarding school absences, making home visits related to student absences, and investigating cases of chronic absence and truancy.
The Waco ISD Counseling Department will provide comprehensive course offerings and experiences to empower students to successfully reach their academic and career goals, ensuring a sustainable future. Waco ISD counselors partner with educators, parents/guardians, and community members to provide students the academic, social-emotional, and career foundations necessary to become productive members of society.
Homeless Outreach Services
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act ensures the educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness.
Homelessness is defined as having a lack of fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes:
- children or youth living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals, or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reasons;
- children or youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- children or youth living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.
Coordinated Early Intervention Services-Behavior Intervention
The Coordinated Early Intervening Services department exists to support Waco ISD in developing a positive, proactive approach to behavior instruction that strengthens the school community and equips EVERY student to succeed in school and in life. This includes:
- The intentional creation of safe and supportive learning environments
- Tiered behavioral intervention programs that are research-based and effective for students with behavior challenges
- Instruction and support in providing trauma-informed, restorative responses to student needs
Developing a positive, proactive approach to behavior instruction that strengthens the school community and equips EVERY student to succeed in school and in life
"To Serve & Support"
Dr. Rachelle Warren
Assistant Superintendent for Student Services & Support
Executive Director for Student Services
Executive Director for Student Support
Kim Zettler, Executive Administrative Assistant
501 Franklin Avenue
P.O. Box 27
Waco, Texas 76703
Ph: (254) 755-9473